Get a feel for my coaching "vibe" with one of these podcast episodes:
- Self-Promotion Anxiety & Powerful Authenticity
- Keeping the Folk Alive During Seasons of Bravery
- How to Grieve Beautifully & Collaborate Generously
My Approach to Business & Coaching:
- Reclamation Collective
- Acceptance & Commitment Therapist (ACT) Directory
- NeuroAffective Relational Model (NARM) Directory
- Somatic Experiencing (SE) Trauma Institute Directory
- National Association of Social Workers
Therapists & Mental Health Professionals
- Brian Peck, LCSW (Idaho, online) - religious trauma, religious abuse, spiritual crisis, post-traumatic stress, PTSD, C-PTSD,
- Laura Anderson, LMFT (Tennessee, online) - domestic violence, abuse & trauma resolution, religious trauma, clinical hypnosis
- Eden Hyder, MA, LPC, LCCA (North Carolina & Texas, online) - eating disorders, spiritual crisis & development, LGBTQ+, pre-marital, therapy for therapists
Mental Health + Entrepreneurship
The prevalence and co-occurrence of psychiatric conditions among entrepreneurs and their families - "Asymptomatic entrepreneurs (having no mental health issues) with asymptomatic families constituted only 24% of the entrepreneur participants."
Evangelicalism + Business
- “Selling Soap and Salvation’: Billy Graham’s Consumer Rhetoric in Germany and the United States in the 1950s” journal article by by Uta Balbier in American Studies, vol. 59, no. 2, 2014, pp. 137–152
- “The Influence of Religiosity on Consumer Ethical Judgments and Responses Toward Sexual Appeals” journal article by Sanjay Putrevu and Krist Swimberghek in Journal of Business Ethics, vol. 115, no. 2, 2013, pp. 351–365
- “Consumer Responses to Christian Religious Symbols in Advertising" journal article by Valerie A. Taylor, et al. in the Journal of Advertising, vol. 39, no. 2, 2010, pp. 79–92
- “More Titillated Than Thou: How the Amish Conquered the Evangelical Romance Market” journal article by Ann Neumann in The Baffler, no. 28, 2015, pp. 148–157
- “She Works Hard(Er) for the Money: Gender, Fundraising, and Employment in Evangelical Parachurch Organizations” journal article by Samuel L. Perry in Sociology of Religion, vol. 74, no. 3, 2013, pp. 392–415.
- “Narnia as a Site of National Struggle: Marketing, Christianity, and National Purpose in ‘The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe’" journal article by James Russell Cinema Journal, vol. 48, no. 4, 2009, pp. 59–76
- “‘Christianity Today’, J. Howard Pew, and the Business of Conservative Evangelicalism” journal article byby Darren E. Grem Enterprise & Society, vol. 15, no. 2, 2014, pp. 337–379
- “How to Win Friends and Convert People: Onnie Jay Holy and the Sales Culture of American Evangelicalism” journal article by Michael D. Odom in Flannery O’Connor Review, vol. 11, 2013, pp. 123–135
- “Why Evangelicals Like Wal-Mart: Education, Region, and Religious Group Identity” journal article by Rebekah Peeples Massengill in Sociology of Religion, vol. 72, no. 1, 2011, pp. 50–77
- “Bigger, Better, Louder: The Prosperity Gospel’s Impact on Contemporary Christian Worship” journal article by Kate Bowler and Reagan Wen in Religion and American Culture: A Journal of Interpretation, vol. 24, no. 2, 2014, pp. 186–230.
- “The Influence of Christian Religiosity on Managerial Decisions Concerning the Environment” journal article by Cui, Jinhua, et al. in the Journal of Business Ethics, vol. 132, no. 1, 2015, pp. 203–231.
- Branding as a Response to the ‘Existential Crisis’ of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland book chapter by Katja Valaskivi
Neurodiversity & Inclusion
- This "Definitive" Guide on Neurodiversity has a smattering of examples for what neurodiverse inclusion looks like for the workplace, education, and world. It's also a good 101 for beginners.
- "This is not philanthropy." How a Nashville tech company is boosting innovation through autism and neurodiversity.
Trauma & PTSD
- "Capitalism Exploits The Body's Response To Traumatic Stress" article by Laura K. Kerr, PhD
- “Troping Trauma: Conceiving (of) Experiences of Speechless Terror” journal article by Rosemary (Gates) Winslow in JAC, vol. 24, no. 3, 2004, pp. 607–633
Adverse Religious Experiences (AREs)
- "This is Your Brain on God" Dr. Michael Ferguson of Univ. of Utah's Department of Bioengineering, describes the study he and his team conducted on believing Mormons when they reported to "feel the Spirit."
- “Why Worry about Evolution? Boundaries, Practices, and Moral Salience in Sunni and Evangelical High Schools” journal article by Jeffrey Guhin in Sociological Theory, vol. 34, no. 2, 2016, pp. 151–174
- “Caste-Sensitive Church Planting: Revisiting the Homogeneous Unit Principle” journal article by Mark Pickett in Transformation, vol. 32, no. 3, 2015, pp. 177–187
- “Diversity, Donations, and Disadvantage: The Implications of Personal Fundraising for Racial Diversity in Evangelical Outreach Ministries” journal article by Samuel L. Perry in Review of Religious Research, vol. 53, no. 4, 2012, pp. 397–418
- “De-Doxifying Miriam” chapter by Alice Bach in A Wise and Discerning Mind: Essays in Honor of Burke O. Long, 2020, pp. 1–10
- “The Politicization of Family Life: How Headship Became Essential to Evangelical Identity in the Late Twentieth Century” journal article by Anneke Stasson in Religion and American Culture: A Journal of Interpretation, vol. 24, no. 1, 2014, pp. 100–138
Adverse Childhood Experiences
(under construction! come back for more soon!)
- An open letter to the former Commune Magazine editor who raped me
- What Really Makes Us Safe
- Why You Will Marry the Wrong Person, The New York Times, Alain De Botton
- Taking the First Step: Suggestions to People Called Out for Abusive Behavior
Multi-Level Marketing (Anti-MLM)
- The Federal Trade Commission's Case for and Against MLM's - MLM's Abysmal Numbers - Jon M. Taylor, MBA, PhD - "...MLM as a business model – with its endless chain of recruitment of participants as primary customers – is flawed, unfair, and deceptive. Worldwide feedback suggests it is also extremely viral, predatory and harmful to many participants. This conclusion does not apply just to a specific MLM company, but to the entire MLM industry. It is a systemic problem."
Gender / (Eco)Feminism
- "How do patriarchy and capitalism jointly reinforce the oppression of women?" article by Camille Bruneau
- Advancing Women - career center for women in STEM & C-suite positions
- Committee for the Cancellation of the Third World Debt
- Academic Journals in Gender, Sexuality, and Feminist Studies
Our Own Podcast! Hooray!
Bare Naked Bravery—Way back in the summer of 2015 I was curious about this bizarre thing people were calling "bravery..."
...so I started a podcast (as one does) and interviewed my friends (as one does). But then it grew into a bestselling book by the same name and eventually it even sprouted The School of Bravery! You'll hear so many guests and specialists discuss their own fears and feats of bravery.
Content note: The show is on hiatus while I record the next season of episodes, yay! Please know that *some* of what I did or said in the past as a business owner, I would not do or say today as a *trauma-informed* business owner... more on that later though! ;-)
Podcast Series & Long-Form Stories
**VERY IMPORTANT TRIGGER WARNING** It can be extremely freeing and empowering to hear echoes of your own experience in others' stories. It can also be a minefield for triggers. Please carefully listen to your own needs while listening to the stories below. You're also free to send us an email if you'd like help in pre-vetting any content. :-)
The Turning: The Sisters Who Left—Thousands of women gave up everything to follow Mother Teresa, joining her storied Catholic order, the Missionaries of Charity. But some found that life inside this fiercely private religious order was not what they’d imagined...
The Other Latif—Throughout this award-winning investigation of Detainee 244 at Guantanamo Bay, Radiolab’s Latif Nasser reflects on American values and his own religious past, and wonders how this prisoner could be his namesake, a fellow nerdy, suburban Muslim kid, yet travel such a strikingly different path...
American Queer—This podcast memoir tells of a gay man's journey out of fundamentalist Christianity into becoming his true self, as told by Kevin James Thornton. (Random fact: Kevin is one of my Nashville neighbors, cool!)
The Opportunist—Each season of this series asks questions like, how does an everyday person turn into a thief, a scammer or a cult leader? Season 1 dives into the story of internet cult leader, Sherry Shriner. Season 2 follows a pharmacist who carried out a decades-long deadly fraud that became the FBI's top priority.
Guru: The Dark Side of Enlightenment—When we face challenges in life, we seek answers from people we believe can help us. When tragedy strikes an exclusive retreat with a self-help superstar, many people are left to wonder: how far is too far? This podcast tells the story of James Arthur Ray who was a celebrity self-help "guru" and an Oprah-endorsed teacher. But friends and family members of his followers questioned his unorthodox methods, and tried to stop him.
Conviction Season 2: American Panic—When John Quinney was ten years old, he took the stand to testify against his own father. He had come to believe that his dad Melvin was the murderous leader of a satanic cult. It would be decades before John would learn that his family was just one of many...
Podcasts From Our Friends & Niche-mates
We love that these peeps are out there being brave and doing their thing for the world in podcast format! The podcasts below are grouped by category and listed in no particular order. Anything you see is either a podcast I love just because or hosted by:
- a personal friend
- a beloved colleague
- a niche-mates whose work I applaud
- a person/show you might want to know exists in the world
By the way, it would be impossible to endorse every word, every career, or every product represented by these shows. Please use your badass internal-navigation to guide your listening. ;-)
Oh, and if you have suggestions to add to the list, send me an email!
Happy podcast listening!
Re: Business & Money Stuff
- That's What She Said, hosted by Kristen Kalp
- The Art of Money, hosted by Bari Tessler
- Karlosophies, hosted by Karly Nimmo
- The BS-free Service Business, hosted by Maggie Patterson
- NPR's Planet Money
- Death, Sex & Money
Re: Trauma & General Mental Health
- Hidden Brain
- Transforming Trauma
- Where Should We Begin? hosted by Esther Perel
- Inside-Out, hosted by Eden Hyder
- ADHD for Smart Ass Women
- Holistic Trauma Healing
Re: DEI (Diversity, Equity & Inclusion) & Anti-Racism
- Pause On The Play
- Transforming Justice
- Black Women Talk Work
- Good Ancestor Podcast, hosted by Layla F. Saad
Re: Sex, Sexuality, Purity Culture & Body-Image
- Curious Fox Podcast
- Good Girls Talk About Sex
- God is Grey
- Girl Boner Radio
- Latter-Day Lesbians
- The Scandalous Christian
- American Sex Podcast
- Sex Nerd Sandra
- Queery, hosted by Cameron Esposito
- The Queer After Religion Project—
- Women of Size
Re: Religion, Religious Trauma & Cults
- A Little Bit Culty, hosted by Sarah Edmondson & "Nippy" Ames
- The Deconstructionists
- Dirty Rotten Church Kids
- Recovering from Religion
- Scientology: Fair Game, hosted by Leah Remini & Mike Rinder
Re: Miscellaneous or Fun & Adventurous Nerdery
- Catie & Erik's Infinite Quest for Attention
- I Said No Gifts! hosted by Bridger Winegar
- Why Won't You Date Me? hosted by Nicole Byer
- My Favorite Murder, hosted by Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark
- The True Beauty Brooklyn, hosted by Elizabeth Taylor and Alix Shapiro
- Just Sleep: Bedtime Stories for Adults
- StarTalk Radio, hosted by Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Psst! It takes a lot of time and money to make content for you. We're happy to do it, but with *some* of the links provided (not all) we offset some of our time investment through their affiliate programs. You can bet your butt the apps and tools below are vetted by us! Keep in mind that not every tool fits every person and if you'd like assistance pick the right technology for you and your business, we're here for you, too! In the meantime, please enjoy!
If you're looking for a way to automate your appointments with clients or colleagues, I highly recommend using one of the following:
- Fons | Excellent for those who see their clients on a regular and recurring basis. (i.e. music teachers, massage therapists, etc.) Plus, you'll get $25 for just trying them out!
- Acuity | The automated appointment scheduler with all the bells and whistles for intake forms, payments, and more.
- Calendly | They've got a great freebie option if you're just getting started with online scheduling apps.
Apps & Subscriptions for Ease
If you're looking for ways to make your life easier on a daily basis, look no further than the list below!
- Audible | for getting stuff done around the house *and* getting your reading list taking care of! Plus, your first book as a member of theirs could be Bare Naked Bravery!
- Kindle Unlimited | If you're a voracious reader and need some help on that in your budget, you'll want unlimited eBooks on your eReader device. Duh!
- CleanMyMac | Removes hidden system junk files. Performs in-depth malware checks. Uninstall apps, for good. Find large, old files.
- MissingLettr.com | Automate traffic to your website by creating 12 months of social media content with every blog post.
- Trello | The easy, free, flexible, and visual way to manage your projects and organize anything.
- Streak | The only CRM that plugs directly into your Gmail inbox. A total lifesaver for those doing DIY publicity & booking!
- Audiogram | Share audio snippets with your social media followers!
Under construction! Come back later for more!
Emily Ann Peterson
“Working with Emily Ann exceeded my expectations and beyond. She not only improved my project tenfold, but made me excited and confident before the launch. It’s been incredibly helpful to have her expertise, support, and valuable feedback!”
Mia Rose Lynne
songwriter & actress
Emily Ann Peterson
“Emily Ann helped me work out the kinks while my business was in its baby stages. We discussed business names, branding, pricing models, and audience strategy. She has a laser-like vision of how to help develop and market your creative works for success.”
author & creator of the Law Thriller series
Emily Ann Peterson
“I joined The School of Bravery after Emily Ann gave me a website audit and I was so excited, inspired and motivated that it was really a no-brainer. Doing brave things is easier now because I can recognize when I'm procrastinating, resisting or just plan scared. ”
author & educator
Emily Ann Peterson
“Emily Ann Peterson is a rare combination of inspiration and practical execution. Not your typical consultant, coach or singer-songwriter, for sure! She has a gift of seeing things and figuring out systems to see them through. She encouraged me to perform outreach (something I dreaded), and I’m so glad I did.”
brand strategist & coach
Emily Ann Peterson
“Emily Ann is a straight-talker with a smile. Finding your voice is not an easy thing. Self-promotion is even stickier. Put the two together and, if you’re like me, you’ve created the perfect storm of overwhelming. Emily Ann has a rock-solid understanding of all things self-promotion, as well as an uncanny ability to break down even the most intimidating hurdles into manageable action items. ”
singer-songwriter, Etsy shop, maker of felt woodland creatures!