Dear Mental Health Professional,
Dear Mental Health Professional,
Hi, my name is Emily Ann Peterson. I'm a trauma-informed business coach for survivors coping with the long-term effects of trauma. My mission is to use the tools of commerce (not capitalism) to dismantle the cycles of oppression & trauma.
Occasionally, I work with mental healthcare providers like you too. This page contains self-hosted and outside resources that I frequently reference while working with helpers and healers in your industry.
These resources are freely available to you & here's why:
- I believe that your business can mirror and support you with the same ease and skill that you give to your clients. I also believe that boosting your business and career has an exponentially positive effect on resolving the world's trauma. Yes please!
- You're my people! I'm always game to get nerdy about mental health!
- For anti-rape culture and trauma-sensitive reasons, I don't believe in requiring an email address in exchange for ".pdf freebies." Of course, you're welcome to consensually join our non-spammy newsletter here whenever you'd like. :-)
Bottom-line: THANK YOU for the work you do! I often refer to it as "the heavy-lifting" of trauma healing! You deserve all the vacations!
There's so much more where all of this came from, so if you ever want to schedule a coffee or networking chat, I'd absolutely be down for that!
~ Emily Ann Peterson
PS - Feel free to share this page with whomever you'd like or connect with me on LinkedIn!
You decide! Here's a brief overview of my work & my method
When you're ready, you can send them to our homepage.
- I'm not a therapist. I'm a business consultant and coach. In fact, depending on the situation, it's not abnormal that I ask a new client find a therapist in addition to working with me. This allows our coaching session to remain focused on a client's present life and optimizing their business. We spend most of the time talking about factors that contribute to this work.
- "Culture eats strategy for breakfast." This is semi-popular business saying which 100% applies here too. For many of my new clients, it's the never-ending, trauma-fueled treadmill of entrepreneurship (going at the speed of SURVIVAL) that's causing all the problems in their business. Self-sabotage, avoidance, procrastination, financial feast/famine, you name it! They know they love their work, but know they can't run like this forever. YIKES.
- I introduce my clients to methods of discovering their autonomy and ease. We (re)construct their business to work for them, not against them. The goal is owning a business that does no harm for everyone, including the business owner. Together, my clients and I get to explore using all the business building tools (including the non-triggered and triggered side of each) to create a business that spreads ease and joy for all involved!
- My clients always remain in the driver's seat. I'll sit wherever they want me to in the metaphorical car or race-track. I deeply value autonomy and consent. As a result, my coaching relationships are generally laid-back and low-pressure.
- My role is to introduce alternative decision-making skills and help my clients apply these to their business. Ultimately, both the client and I want their business to operate in such a way that it stops the re-triggering and re-creation of old trauma. I know this is possible, because I've seen it happen so many times with other clients!
- Every client is unique. This work is not a 6-session-only process or an endless 12-step program. Parts of a clients process might feel experimental or like trying on shoes. Some parts might feel tender, others might be really fun and hilarious.
- Results do not happen overnight. For example, Spring of 2020 was one client's best quarter of business ever, by a loooong shot. Here's the catch though, this happened *only* because we had invested the previous two years diligently automating every inch of their online business "for such a time as this." (Our reasons were to prevent burnout and allow their partner to quit their job. But hey, a pandemic is a convincing reason too.)
- I walk the talk and apply these skills to my own business, because I'm a trauma survivor too. For example, I don't do "sales calls" & I deeply value financial accessibility.
- I'm continually adding to my education, credentials and other certifications. I know "trauma-informed" is an increasingly popular buzzword. Some days it seems like every well-intentioned practitioner of [insert modality here] with a TikTok account is adding "trauma-informed" to their website. THAT IS NOT ME.
Oh, and you should probably know:
Ethical Marketing Circles (coming soon!)
Lessons from Dandelions on Defiance & Social Justice featuring Kate Fontana
How to Be a Better Ally for Social Justice featuring Dr. Joy Cox
The Road Back to You & How The Enneagram Can Help featuring Ian Cron
Your 3 Word Rebellion featuring Dr. Michelle Mazur
Truth, Trauma, and Open-Handed Slaps to the Face featuring Kye Alfred Hillig
How to Find Your Purpose in the Midst of Transition featuring Jonathan DeWaal
Hiding Under Desks, Prioritizing Pain and Other Hard Things featuring Jessica Ribera
How to Edit Your Writing with Powerful Authenticity featuring Karin Stevens
How to Stand in Unshakeable Truth featuring Vicki Ambinder
How to Be Wrong & Stay Listening featuring Andy Zook
How to Be Everything & Never Fit In a Box featuring Emilie Wapnick
How to Grieve Beautifully & Collaborate Generously featuring Holli Margell
We Are Not Mere Objects: Surviving Sexual Assault featuring Sarah Jane
At Death's Door, Fighting For Life & Loving with Your Whole Heart featuring Jake Hemming
for Brave Mental Health Helpers & Healers
under construction! come back soon for more or send me an email if you see something missing!
Mental Health Industry
- QAnon's Unexpected Roots in New Age Spirituality: masculinity, faith, and the strange convergence of counterculture and hate (Washington Post, 3/21/2021)
- Cults, Mind Control, Thought Reform, and Abusive Groups: What Clinicians Should Know (S. Nelson, 2012)
- Healthy Thinking as Means of Preventive Maintenance and a Therapy for Pathological Thinking in Destructive Cults (Evgeny N . Volkov, 2007)
- Influence of a Charismatic Antisocial Cult Leader: Psychotherapy With an Ex-Cultist Prosecuted for Criminal Behavior (Lorna Goldberg, MSW, LCSW, PsyA)
- Eichel, S. K. D. (2015). Cults, Extremist Movements, and the Child Custody Evaluation: Pitfalls and Strategies. Handbook of Child Custody, 273–289.
- Stein, A. (1997). Mothers in cults: The influence of cults on the relationship of mothers to their children. Cultic Studies Journal.
- Tourish, D. (2005). Charismatic Leadership and Corporate Cultism at Enron: The Elimination of Dissent, the Promotion of Conformity and Organizational Collapse. Leadership, 1(4), 455–480.
- Schwartz, L. L., & Kaslow, F. W. (1979). Religious Cults, the Individual and the Family. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, 5(2), 15–26.
Psst! It takes time and money to make this kind of content for you. I'm happy to do it, but with *some* of the links provided (not all) I offset some of my and my team's time investment through affiliate programs. You can bet your butt the apps and tools below are vetted by us! Keep in mind that not every tool fits every person and if you'd like assistance pick the right technology for you and your business, we're here for you, too! In the meantime, please enjoy!
Printed Business Goods
Other Apps & Subscriptions for Ease
Audible | for getting stuff done around the house *and* getting your reading list taking care of! Plus, your first book as a member could be Bare Naked Bravery!
Kindle Unlimited | If you're a voracious reader and need some help on that in your budget, you'll want unlimited eBooks on your eReader device. Duh!
CleanMyMac | Removes hidden system junk files. Performs in-depth malware checks. Uninstall apps, for good. Find large, old files.
MissingLettr.com | Automate traffic to your website by creating 12 months of social media content with every blog post.
Trello | The easy, free, flexible, and visual way to manage your projects and organize anything.
Streak | The only CRM that plugs directly into your Gmail inbox. A total lifesaver for those doing DIY publicity & booking!
Audiogram | Share audio snippets with your social media followers!
- OmmWriter | This app makes it suuuuper easy to focus on just writing and nothing else. Plus, they have a mobile version too!
Depression—Available for iOS—this app includes at least 6 different scales of measurement that can make it easy to access the information needed to assess, treat, and manage your patients' depression and anxiety.
uDictate—Available for iOS—This dictation app was designed specifically for professionals in the medical and legal fields and includes some pretty rad features.