What Does a Trauma-Informed Business Coaching Relationship Look Like?
If you've experienced other coaches prior to working with me, then my coaching sessions and the coaching relationship can look a little different. Most of the reason for this is because you're a unique person and I am too. (Plus, I'm not like every other business coach out there.)
The Coaching Relationship = Me + You + NASCAR
Now, I'm not much of a NASCAR fan (I almost didn't use this as an example) but I do think that the metaphor of a racing team beautifully encapsulates the way I work with my clients.
Things to Keep in Mind about the Coach/Consultant-Client Relationship with Emily Ann Peterson:
- You're in the driver's seat—In my world, trauma-informed coaching is client-directed and client-centered. You're the only one with access to your unique resources: economic, relational, emotional, practical, etc. You are the only one who knows your capacity for growth and tolerance for the discomfort that comes along with it. My job as your coach is to help you find the perfect tools to enhance, empower, and enrich all of that.
- You choose where I sit—Metaphorically, I can coach from wherever you'd like me to sit. This could be from the sidelines, shotgun, back seat, nosebleed section, etc. I'm not a "my way or the highway" and I am not your guru. Of course, I'm honored to cheer, advise, guide, warn, and ease with resources. Together, we'll brainstorm endless creative ideas... But at the end of the day, I'm not the one in the driver's seat of your business, you are! :-)
- You've got the steering wheel—coaching sessions are for discussing whatever area of life, career, or business you'd prefer. I'll let you know if I think a topic might be better suited for another professional (like your doctor, lawyer, or therapist), so no worries there. As we continue to meet, we can change topical directions, avoid certain areas, re-address your initial goals or modify them as needed. Just say the word and I'll be on board with it.
- You've got the gas & brake pedals—we can go as slow or as fast as you'd like. Prefer lots of homework or zero homework? Cool. Need a mid-session bio break? Awesome! Want to meet more often? As long as I've got the space in my calendar, that time can be yours! This work can happen at any speed.
- U-turns are encouraged—questions, hesitations, second-guessing, and changing your mind are a natural part of our evolution as humans. I'm totally cool with it. For instance, an idea mentioned in a session might require some adjustments or tailoring before it really feels awesome.
- There is an eject button—I would be a fool to think that a coaching relationship is permanent or obligatory or that one coach is a good fit for all clients at all times. At any time, if you decide to pause our work together and want recommendations for another coach, just let me know. Besides, I love giving recommendations to my favorite colleagues!
- Different is good! Different is fun! I am neurodivergent and was diagnosed late in life. I spent decades unknowingly riding the neurodivergent "struggle bus" but the silver lining is that I now have a massive muscle that continues to give me and my clients countless methods of adapting to a world that at times feels triggering, alien, and scary. My approach to coaching is experimental, progressive, efficient, light-hearted, and fun!
or if any of this resonates with you or you've got more questions, click here to schedule a meet-n-greet with me!